There is nothing more comforting to me than fresh pasta and roasted vegetables. Layer on the cheese and my night will be made. This simple recipe resulted from an exhausting day at work and limited ingredients in the fridge.
Brussels Sprout Hash and Parmesan Carbonara
2 C. — Fresh Brussels sprouts
2 T. — Olive Oil
4 T. — Red Onion
2 T. — Garlic
1/4 C. — Pine nuts
1/2 lb. — Fusilli
2 T. — Unsalted butter
1/4 C. — Skim milk
1/4 C. — Shredded Parmesan
1 XL — Egg
1/4 t. — Red pepper flakes
1. Thinly slice red onion, mince garlic, and sautee with olive oil.
2. Slice brussels sprouts thinly (about 1/4 inch) and add to the mixture; sear over medium-high heat until browned. Season with fresh cracked salt and pepper to taste.
3. Once brussels are almost completely cooked, add pine nuts and roast.
4. Boil pasta, after draining add butter and allow to melt. Add red pepper flakes and milk (allow to briefly heat).
5. Beat egg and shredded parmesan; quickly mix egg mixture into hot pasta (don’t stop stirring!).
6. Garnish with freshly grated parmesan, coarsely ground sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper!